Saturday, May 29, 2021

Veganic-ish since 2020

Last year (2020) was the first year I didn't use any store-bought manure.

 Prior to 2020, I had been using "mushroom compost", at first because I had mistaken it to be composted mushrooms, but then once I learned it's left-over manure from mushroom growing, well I continued buying it with the faint hope that maybe it was actually composted mushrooms.

In later summer / early fall 2019, I went and got a bunch of well aged (2-3 years) horse manure from Penny Lane Sanctuary which provides a home for rescued horses and other farm animals.  Not veganic, but I'll call it veganic-ish, and I feel fine about using this manure, given its source.

So in fall 2019 I applied a bunch of horse manure.

In 2020 I used up most of the rest of the horse manure.  And the potting soil I was using it turns out (as I learned this past winter)nwas accidentally vegan (Promix Premium potting mix). 

In 2021, i.e. this year, my soil amendments consist of:

- horse manure:  I have one bag of the horse manure left, which I haven't used yet but will throughout the year.

- alfalfa pellets

- kelp meal

- lawn clippings as mulch (collected from CB school front and other spots)

- ground up leaves as mulch

I'm no longer using cedar mulch in the yard anymore other than a few pots for aesthetics, since it doesn't add much if anything to the soil. 

Unfortunately I decided to stop using my compost bin because I just couldn't control the smell, which I don't mind, but my poor neighbours.  Didn't harvest any compost this year, just going to let it all sit there and finish up.

No comments:

Post a Comment