Friday, May 21, 2021

Kaolin clay (first time) applied to tomatoes, ground cherries, cucumbers, zucchini, ronde, cushaw, and butternut

Haven't seen any cucumber beetles, but I've read it's best to start early for prevention.

Have seen several flea beetles.

Now to wait until it rains, and repeat...

Oh, and, OOPS, don't apply until the sun has left for the day -- a few of the zucchini leaves are now completely shrivelled and crispy, I assume because I didn't properly wait for the shade to arrive.

I mixed it at the recommended ratio with water, didn't add any dish soap or anything else.  Did the mixing in my red bucket but that was NOT ideal because of the grooves at the bottom.  Next time, do the mixing in a kitchen mixing bowl.

For applying it, first I tried dunking plants into the mix, but I didn't like that as soil would fall out and get messy.  So then I tried my pressure sprayer but that did NOT work at all -- it clogged INSTANTLY.  So I used the old window cleaner spray bottle -- this worked fine, though it is a hand workout, and it's annoying when trying to get to the undersides because it only wants to spray upright.

I've googled around looking for a surefire sprayer than can be used at all angles but reviews make me question the upside down sprayer bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment