Saturday, August 19, 2023

Raccoons!!!! x3!!!

I just happened to be up late tonight, and noticed Jasper showing interest at the patio screen door in the kitchen.  I peered out and saw some eyes on the fence.  My first thought was skunk.  But then I realized no -- it was a raccoon!  And another raccoon!  And another raccoon!  3 raccoons!  They look a little small, juveniles perhaps?

Being concerned about the garden is one thing, but far more important is my dogs, including my little 15 pound guy.  No way can I risk a run-in the next time he has to do his business in the middle of the night.

So I went out in the yard to try to scare them away with my voice and motion.  They looked at me from the top of the fence but didn't seem scared at all, though I think there was some hissing.

Fine then -- I went to dig out a water gun.  But then I was like, wait a minute -- I have a much better water gun in the yard...  So yes, I gave them a good spraying with the hose.  They quickly descended the other side of the fence.  A few minutes after, I went out the front door to see if I could hopefully spot them going somewhere else.  Alas, they were still in the bush by the fence and I must have scared them because they then climbed up the fence again.

Jasper got out into the yard and peered at them from the other side of the fence but oddly wasn't as excited as I thought he would be -- he wasn't barking or anything, though he was definitely interested.  I tried to call him back in with "cookie", and he kept coming towards me and then going back to the raccoons.  Finally "supper" worked to get him inside.  But in the meantime, the raccoons didn't seem all that scared of him.

Another spraying and they left again.

I do wonder whether or not this was their first visit to my yard?  If they've been here before I never saw any signs -- no damage at all that I could see.  So, I'm doubtful that they've been here before.  Hopefully the hose + Jasper have worked to convince them not to return.... but we shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment