Monday, January 3, 2022

DISEASE RESISTANCE is priority in choosing varieties this year -- ordered seeds today

Given so many issues with diseases in my garden in recent years, this year I decided to really research varieties and choose ones that indicate some level of disease resistance.

Bought the following today from Johnny's Seeds, after checking out prices at a few online sources:

- Basil:  Prospera (resistant to downy mildew which destroyed my basil in 2021)

- Zucchini:  Golden Glory (intermediate resistance to powdery mildew, watermelon mosaic virus, and zucchini yellow mosaic virus -- powdery mildew being one of the banes of my squash's existence)

- Round zucchini:  Eight Ball (intermediate resistance to powdery mildew, watermelon mosaic virus, and zucchini yellow mosaic virus -- powdery mildew being one of the banes of my squash's existence)

- Tomato (big):  Big Beef Plus (High resistance to Alternaria stem canker, Fusarium crown and root rot, Fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, gray leaf spot, tomato mosaic virus, and Verticillium wilt; and intermediate resistance to nematodes and tomato spotted wilt virus) (various diseases that I'm not sure what exactly they were have affected my tomatoes in recent years -- this variety doesn't list blight, so it will be interesting to see how it does)

- Tomato (cherry):  Jasper (High resistance to late blight; and intermediate resistance to early blight) (various diseases that I'm not sure what exactly they were have affected my tomatoes in recent years -- this variety lists blight but not the other various diseases that the Big Beef Plus lists, so it will be interesting to see how it does)

(I also bought more Bolero carrot as part of the same order, but not because of disease resistance, just because it grew amazingly last year.)

These are ALL F1 hybrids, which at first I balked at, but this post explains that hybrids are not GMOs, and, I have a very limited growing area (especially in 2022 if they end up digging up for the east wall), so since I can't grow extras for buffer or give things lots of room etc., I feel like hybrids may be my best option for now.

Getting excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment