Wednesday, June 22, 2022

General update: Everything doing well; hardly any insect pressures; zukes looking great

Other than a handful of flea beetles a while ago, no insect pressures yet to mention.

The tomatoes are looking slow to take off -- the one Jasper has a few flowers and a handful of tomatoes forming, and the Scotia has a few flowers, but everything else is taking a bit longer.

Oh and the cucumbers aren't thrilled about being crowded in among the peas and potatoes -- but I think they'll get there.  

Lots of green healthy growth everywhere.

Even my home-sown basil looks fabulous!  Except for 3 or 4 of the southmost ones which maybe didn't covered as well during the cold (?) as they now have some weird / bad-looking leaves.  But the rest look amazing.

And the zucchinis!  WOW!  Even the two that at first looked pale and I was sure I was going to pull, have pulled through and they're among the first I'll be harvesting from!  All 7 of the main* zucchini plants look like they'll be producing fruit instead of the fruit petering out even before the flower opens, as was the case so often in recent years.  I can only imagine it's from not putting too much nitrogen, and from adding in the kelp and mineralized rock phosphate?!  *One zucchini in the Waltham broccoli bed was verrry late to get planted and is shaded by those broccolis so is unlikely to do much.  Also planted 2 late starts a few weeks ago, will see what they do (one in the a/c bed, the other in the south center of the central bed).  Oh and all zukes are under tulle except those two late starts.  I feel like maybe, just maybe I've given them enough space with the tulle this year that maybe I'll be able to keep the tulle on well into the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment