Saturday, April 22, 2017

To pea, or not to pea

Removed the plastic from the outdoor peas. Germination is not looking great so far... some are sprouting, but most haven't yet. But, it will be hot and sunny this week so don't want to risk cooking them under the plastic.

And then there are the indoor peas, my "plan B". Again, some have sprouted, but most haven't yet. There is a funky smell from those paper tubes.

I'm not 100% sure what the pea plan will be. If the outdoor peas all/mostly come through for me, awesome! I wouldn't really need the indoor ones. But, then, the indoor ones that have sprouted will need to go out very soon, given how fast they're growing. So, there's no luxury of waiting a few more weeks to see what the outdoor ones will do before I decide what to do.

So, I think I've decided I'll just go with it and plant the indoor ones on their own vertical structure. I set it all up today, prepped the beds, put the posts in. All that's needed will be to drill a couple of holes in a pvc bar, attach it, and add some netting. The indoor peas will go in the mocked up space between the two structures in the photo. Outdoor peas are under the one on the left, and cukes will go in the one on the right.

I would love for ALL the peas to succeed. One thing you will never hear me complain about will be too many sugar snap peas!

Vertical area is all set

The outdoor peas -- not much to look at yet! A few itty bitty sproutlings are hiding in the photo.

To pea or not to pea...

No comments:

Post a Comment