Saturday, April 22, 2017

Outdoor sowings and transplantings

Transplanted most of the cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, and chard today. They should be well hardened off by now, having been living outside full time since last weekend. Trying some cutworm defence, in the form of paper cups and/or a fort of pencil crayons. For the paper cups, I found it worked a lot better to use two for each plant rather than try to squish one cup around the plant.  Still have a few to decide where they're going to, then get them in the ground.  There are also a few wimpy cabbages inside that haven't thrived.  I tossed two and sure enough, itty bitty root systems.  The bigger I'm giving a chance.

Cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, and chard transplanted

Another view of the cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, and chard

A few more cabbages and brussels sprouts

Cabbage


Not transplanted yet:
Haven't transplanted these yet

Sowed more carrots, up to the midway point of the hydro meter, and removed the plastic cage from the already-planted carrots.  No more plastic cages in the garden now.

Finally, sowed all three kinds of lettuce that came in my awesome seed collection.  I wasn't going to grow lettuce this year, because I couldn't think of what to use lettuce for other than salads, and I'm not big on salads without ample mega high fat dressing.  But!  Then I remembered my falafel sandwiches. So, in went the lettuce today, just to be used at the young stage for my falafels... and maybe some tofu tacos too. The lettuce went in the last part of the carrot bed, so once the lettuce is done I'll probably replace them with more carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment