Sunday, April 9, 2017

It's alive! Busy day in the backyard.

(Oh and the "it" in the title of this blog post clearly doesn't refer to my grass! Tee hee!)

Couldn't resist the fantastic weather to spend most of the day in the yard, my first gardening day of the year. Here's the yard after today's activities -- small yard, even smaller gardening area, but amazing how much can grow here!

Today's sowings


- Sowed 1 row of beets and 2 or 3 rows of carrots, under plastic dome

Beets and carrots

Beets and carrots under dome



- Sowed peas!  Yes that's right, I decided to sow them outside again and take my chances.  Last year's pea seeds were a big failure.  They either rotted, met their end via cutworms, or were plucked out by birds or whatnot.  I suspect all three of those were a factor, no idea why as I had no problems with peas when I last grew them a few years ago.  So, all year I've been saving my toilet paper rolls with the thought of starting them inside this year.  Well, today I decided to get them a shot outside.  Differences over last year:  (1) in a different bed, (2) under plastic cover.  Here's hoping they succeed.  I sure do love sugar snap peas, such a delectable garden treat!

Peas

Peas



- Sowed spinach, under plastic dome made with garden fence supports

Spinach under plastic


- Planted some multiplier onion bulbs (the ones I planted on February 23rd don't seem to have done much)

Onion bed



- Set out the kale, onions, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and chard (the older plants, not the younger ones) to harden off for a few hours, their first time outside -- although, it was such a nice day I'm not sure how "hard" that was for them!

Hardening off


Charlie the cat enjoyed some good sun time.

Charlie


It occurred to me that I'm in the process of hardening off not only my veggie plants, but also my little dog who's coming off 8 weeks of cage rest due to a disc issue with his back.  Both the plants and Scooter need to ease themselves into life in the real world!


Scooter


Charlie had no qualms with Scooter being confined while he was free to roam :D

Charlie and Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment