Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Most kale plants rotting at stem, no new growth -- removed most kales

Oh no!  I did a big harvest a few days ago (Saturday June 26th when I noticed that Premier Forge has flat leaves and Siberian has curly leaves -- I didn't notice anything amiss then) and have a bunch of it in the fridge, so I haven't been looking at the kale lately, but today I noticed most of the kale plants have some or all of these symptoms:

- blackening of leaf stems near ground level

- crumpled/stunted mini-leaves 

- rotted stems at ground level

- no new growth

- the most mature leaves look healthy otherwise, until it gets too bad and the leaf wilts and/or breaks off.

I pulled the clearly-affected plants -- there's an unpleasant odour to the rotting part, but the roots look normal white/grey and are firm.  When removing the plants, I didn't shake off the dirt from the roots like I normally would -- plunked the whole thing into the yard waste bag.

The southeast kale bed for now gets to keep two plants which so far look fine (one Premier Forge, one Siberian).  The northwest kale bed for now gets to keep more plants, only removed two or three there.

Maybe stem and root rot? (although the roots aren't rotted, at least not yet)

https://www.gardeningchannel.com/how-to-fight-stem-and-root-rot/

https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=291177


No comments:

Post a Comment