Monday, June 28, 2021

Garlic mostly-flop in hydro meter bed (the covered bed!)

The hydro meter bed garlics (Metechi variety), which were first covered with floating row cover early in the season and then with tulle when the Amazon tulle arrived, got off to a roaring start, but since the last several weeks or even month or so they haven't been looking so great anymore.  Many yellow leaves and that was even before the scapes appeared, and the plants are bending over, just not looking good at all.  This, combined with looking for places to put the late-season zucchini transplants, had me digging up most of the bulbs today.

About half the bulbs look quite questionable, two of which I downright didn't consider keeping as they were rotting so there were pillbugs etc, so I tossed them into the central bed.  The rest of these questionable bulbs have a part of the bulb that isn't sealed over, so I wonder if there might be someone hiding inside.  I left these to sit outside on the front step for now, to dry.

The other half of the bulbs look decent, fully sealed.  I brought these inside to dry.

I left two bulbs in place for now, one on either end of this mini bed, since they won't interfere with placing a zucchini there soon.

I haven't dug up the north wall garlics yet, will give them more time since there's no rush and it's early yet.  (Those ones look small -- that bed received the smallest cloves and are given a poor growing area what with all the rain and less amount of sun -- but they don't look half dead like these ones.)

No comments:

Post a Comment