Friday, May 10, 2024

Carrots -- round 2 -- new method, and, an experiment

Well, next year I'll for sure use the burlap or cardboard method.  But the problem is this year, though germination was spotty, there are a decent amount growing -- so I don't want to throw all that away.  So, how to fill in the gaps?

I'm trying out the method in this video:

- Sprinkle soil (I used soil from the garden) over a plate (I used my real plates, not paper plates).

- Moisten the soil.

- Sprinkle carrot seeds generously over top.

- Don't cover the seeds -- just press them firmly down.

- I then misted the seeds to make sure they're moist (but the video doesn't do that).

- Place the plate of seeds into a large ziplog bag, and seal the bag.

- The video says to then put the plate in the freezer for 24 hours. EXPERIMENT:  I did two plates -- one went into the freezer, the other didn't.

- After 24 hours, remove from the freezer.

- Place bagged plate in indirect sunlight (either inside or outside).

- Monitor until they germinate.

- Once they're popping up, sprinkle the soil with the seeds into the garden.  She doesn't "transplant" them one by one or anything like that -- she just brushes them around the area.

- Done.


So, today I got round 2 carrots started using the above method, with the experiment noted above (one plate went into the freezer, the other didn't).

No comments:

Post a Comment