Friday, May 10, 2024

Beets -- round 2 (round 1 was a TOTAL FLOP)

Wow, this is the absolute worst beet germination situation I've ever had, like, ever, I'm pretty sure.  There were MAYBE 3 or 4 max that germinated.  No idea why.  I had covered them with a light mix of vermiculate and soil, and watered frequently.  

So, today I started round 2.  I did them a couple of different ways.

Both ways I started by soaking the seeds overnight.

Then, one batch I put directly into the garden, sprinkled around rather than measured/spaced out, and placed a piece of floating row cover over top.

The other batch, I sowed inside, in my homemade potting mix, using the tray that has .... 36? little compartments (that I use for lettuce for example_).  These I'll wait until they pop up and have grown a wee bit, then will transplant them the typical way.  I put 2 seeds per compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment