Saturday, August 1, 2020

Sunflower OOPSY

While touring my garden, and seeing that big drooping head of the first sunflower that bloomed (west bed), my dad mentioned that sunflower heads get really stinky when they go bad.  I never could see any seeds on it, so I figured it didn't get enough sun or was a dud or whatnot -- so, I removed the plant.
 
While taking apart the head for curiosity's sake (after having removed the plant), I noticed it's FULL of seeds -- only they're white / not mature yet. 
 
D'OH.
 
So I ate the biggest ones raw, and put out the rest on the compost bin for the critters (which they appreciated).
 
Will let the rest of the sunflowers go to maturity.  (So far almost all sunflowers have opened (only the NE corner hasn't); the front-garden ones have heads forming but aren't there yet.)
 
Oh and there were larva inside the stems.  Presumably from all the sunflower maggot flies who were hanging around the whole summer.  No harm done really.

No comments:

Post a Comment