Saturday, August 1, 2020

Oh no!!!! Wasps are eating/removing ladybug larvae, even the big ones!!!!

Update on the ladybug larvae:
 
The outside-born ones it seems were mostly eaten / disappeared.
 
The inside-born ones:  Wow, do they ever grow FAST.  They did mostly* great, with new ferns added once or twice a day, and a wet cotton ball inside the jar, with cheesecloth lining (triple-folded).  Their shed skins were all over as they grew.  Gradually over the last ~3 days I've been setting a few loose into the asparagus each day.  It was tricky to get them take hold of a new asparagus fern and not fall off as it bounced into place, but it worked with some patience.  I could swear I wasn't seeing as many on the plants as I was releasing.  Well, sure enough, today as I was out to release the last two*, what did I see but a wasp/hornet in the plant wrestling with a balled-up ladybug larva, one of the bigger ones!!  The wasp/hornet flew off with it!  Noooooooooooooo........!!  Dang it.  One beneficial insect eating another beneficial insect.  *The last two or three seemed to have something wrong with them starting yesterday -- they seemed to lose their ability to move normally, just lying in place wriggling their legs around, unable to get up and move.  I tried placing things there for them to grab onto, but the same issue.  So today I just set them loose onto the ground near the asparagus plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment