Saturday, May 2, 2020

Asparagus problems!!! (1) tiny orange insects (2) leathery (3) dried tips etc.

Noticed earlier this week that some of the asparagus spears didn't look normal.  Indeed some of them are shrivelled and leathery; some have tiny orange insects on them (<1mm), one had a small hole drilled in it near where I found a small black fly, and some have dried tips or a shrunken midsection, etc.

Arghhhhh

So I cut off the wonky ones and sprayed everything with dish soap / water solution.

Don't remember seeing this last spring, but, I did see an asparagus beetle last summer.

I can't figure out what the cause is, though.  Maybe the tiny orange insects are circumstantial because I can't find any info on what they could be in terms a problem for the asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment