Sunday, March 7, 2021

Winter sowed (first time!): lupins (seeds), broccoli (seeds and seedlings), chard (seeds), onion (seedlings)

 Fun!  After googling for a while last night, today I used my handy new drill to put holes into a bunch of plastic containers.  (After struggling with scissors and knife.  The drill was wayyy better.)

I figure maybe my broccoli seedlings just find it too warm inside under the lights.  So, why not try winter sowing!

Winter sowed these:

  • Lupin:  A container with the three seeds I started February 13th, which still haven't germinated, and three fresh seeds.  (All from the nice two-shade seeds I collected from BH last year.)
  • Chard:  A container with a scattering of Fordhook seeds.
  • Onion:  A small container with three onion seedlings, just as an experiment.
  • Broccoli:  A container with a scattering of the old seeds (Waltham). --> with no ink label (oops, I labelled the wrong one)
  • Broccoli:  A container with a scattering of the new seeds (Green Sprouting).
  • Broccoli:  3 smaller  containers each with one of the struggling Waltham transplants that I started February 13th.  Even if they die, so be it, they're doing horribly inside anyway.

I set out the seeds today.  As for the seedlings, the broccolis went out today in the sun for an hour or so, then brought inside overnight because we have one more cold night tonight (-18) before a warmer spell.  Will put them out tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment