Saturday, March 20, 2021

Odour from compost bin today -- covered with newspaper and browns -- and tarp -- ==> REMOVED FRESH STUFF

 Oh no, I was sitting at the kitchen table and smelled, yes, the compost bin from here...  If I can smell it, surely passersby and my poor neighbour can too.  I had already decided to not use the bin for kitchen scraps during the spring/summer/fall (instead will dig-in as I started doing last year), but I did add some kitchen "greens" a week or two ago and didn't cover them with anything, and well, yes a little smelly today.

So, today I tried covering the food with a layer of 3 or 4 newspaper pages, then added a bunch of dried up zinnias left from the fall.  It seems to make a difference right away, but that could be wishful thinking...........  Fingers crossed!

Oh how I long to someday have a place where I can just enjoy the aroma and not worry about bothering anyone.

UPDATE LATER THE SAME DAY:  Augh, still totally smell it when in the west bed which leads right to neighbour's door.  So, placed a tarp over top (held down by the lid) which covers the bin's south and east walls.  Bin still gets air through the west and north walls.  Fingers -- and toes too this time -- crossed!

UPDATE EVEN LATER THE SAME DAY:  Ditto, still smells.  So, I uncovered it and removed as much of the fresh top stuff as I could; it will go into the yard/green pickup Monday morning.  So sad!!  Re-placed the newspaper sheets and dried zinnias on top, plus the tarp again, just to really try to contain any lingering smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment