Friday, June 19, 2020

Paper wasps greatly enjoying water bowl

Wow, there is quite the steady stream of paper wasps to my water bowls in the garden!

At first I noticed them frequently in the stainless steel bowl set by the air conditioner.

Today I noticed them mostly in the small old ceramic half-bowl which is set in among the beets.  Maybe that one doesn't get as hot.

Pretty sure they're paper wasps, based on this article:  https://www.rescue.com/latest-buzz/outdoor-pests/how-to-tell-a-wasp-from-a-yellowjacket/.  The ones I'm seeing have the give-away orange antenna, and are quite long and skinny.

My garden insects book says paper wasps are great to have around, as they eat insects.  Mostly these ones seem to be coming and going only for the water, though I did see one spend several minutes flying around / landing on the beets.


This article lists a wide variety of wasps, with identifying photos:  http://www.scorpionfly.ca/plants/wildlifegarden/Beneficial%20wasps.html

No comments:

Post a Comment