Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Oh no! Some of the zinnias and peas are runty and weird

I spoke too soon with that last post.  I had vaguely noticed some of the zinnias were small, but they're on the top shelf so I wasn't looking too closely.  Upon closer inspection today, whoa they're very bizarre.  They're not only very small, but their leaves are crinkled and just very mis-shapen.  It's only some of them, though, and it includes some of the ones from last year's seed packet, so it's not a glitch from saving seeds...

And, some of the newer pea sprouts too, look mis-shapen with hardly any leafiness.

What the!!

Interestingly, it was around this time last year, on May 2nd 2018 that I wrote about everything stunted.  However, a major difference this year is that everything else looks awesome, whereas last year nearly everything was majorly stunted.

This year I did not re-use any vermiculite or soil (recycled the used stuff into the backyard beds).  And, I sterilized all containers (bleach water bath) before re-use.  So, that can't be the issue...

Curious to see if this will affect the final sowings which will be done soon (cukes/zukes/squash).

No comments:

Post a Comment