Saturday, April 27, 2019

Insects found on deformed zinnias!

Well what do you know.  Pulled a couple of the smallest, most stunted zinnias and examined them in my hand, one at a time.  Found a critter on my palm for each of them:  tiny, long-shaped (but itty bitty) pale green or off-white in colour. 

So, I've removed all of the affected-looking plants (zinnias, one chard that looks a smidge suspicious, and one mystery four-pack that I have no idea what I planted and doesn't match any of my other seedlings.  I put all of these downstairs, on the kitchen table.  Will decide later on what to do...

I assume the same situation is the cause for the stunted peas, but haven't checked them out yet.  Guess it will be another paltry pea year, but at least several are looking decent.

What might they be?
- Thrips?  Photos on the internet seem to resemble these the most, but, they don't seem to be flying, and, the damage looks different from some of the photos I'm seeing.
- Broad mites?  But those seem to be football/pudgy-shaped, whereas the insects I found were quite long and skinny (but tiny).
- ??  what else could they be?


Where might they have come from?
- New bag of Pro Mix?  Everything I potted up earlier looks great so far -- it's the newest transplantings that used soil from the new bag that have this issue.  Actually, a few days ago I repotted the second batch of tomatoes -- and placed them on the same shelf as all the other good looking plants --------- will have to keep a close eye.......  I'm wondering if the newest tomato leaves are looking kind of curly....

- From my overwintered thyme/oregano?  But this doesn't seem likely, because those are sitting on the table, whereas the damaged plants were mostly on the uppermost shelves.


No comments:

Post a Comment