Saturday, May 6, 2017

Indoor plants -- various updates

Woops -- haven't posted in a while!

Here are some updates.

- Petunias:  The original petunias sowed on February 18th finally went tall and leggy... started them about 3 weeks too early, I'd say.  The petunias that I started on April 8th are looking good, nowhere near flowering yet but I think the timing will be good for setting out late May.  Lesson learned:  Don't start petunias as early as February 18th!  I think mid-March would be the best time to start petunias.

- Tomatoes:  I've started hardening off the two big ones, if for no other reason than they're just too tall to put under lights anymore!  Lesson learned:  March 18th is a little too early to start big tomatoes!  The little tomatoes are looking good and fit in well under the lights, being the same size as the pepper plants; pinched off a few more flowers to encourage more busy growth.

- Peppers:  Looking great!  They continue to be safe and warm inside, with the only "hardening off" being the oscillating fan a few hours every day

- Bok choy, celery, and the rest of the chard:  Started hardening these off as well about a week ago, just because I needed more room under the lights for my peas.  See separate post about the peas.

- Tuberous begonias:  Wow!  The three that "took" have really taken off!  The foliage  look great.  The other three, one of them looks like it's trying to start having leaves -- I see those little pink nubbins, but they've been there a while with no more action yet.

- Cucumber:  Wow, I think 100% germination rate.  They're looking good. 

- Zucchini:  Hmmm, only 1 of the 3 pots germinated, although both seeds took.  So, I transplanted the smaller one into its own pot.  Started another set of seeds earlier this week but no sign of anything yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment