Sunday, September 19, 2021

Mystery bird ate seeds from self-sown wild evening primrose! --> FEMALE COMMON YELLOWTHROAT!

Bold yellow belly but definitely was not one of the goldfinches!

My bet is on a migrator!

Other than the yellow belly, the upper side and head were sort of an olive/tan.  Flitted around the primrose plant while eating.

From looking through the Audubon app's suggestions for yellow birds in Ontario in September, maybe one of these...   --> UPDATE:  Aha!  This evening I saw what was definitely a male common yellow throat in the yard! (see other post)  And I see from Google that the bird I saw on the primrose was I am quite sure the female!  I hadn't put this on the list below because the bird had no mask!  

- Nashville Warbler?

- Philadelphia Vireo?

- Orange-crowned Warbler?

- Yellow-bellied Flycatcher?

- Mourning Warbler?

- Connecticut Warbler?

- Western Kingbird?

- Yellow-breasted Chat?

- None of the above?  I have no idea!  But a fun sighting while stuck at home with my broken-leg dog for two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment