Saturday, June 29, 2019

Found three-lined potato beetle larvae eating ground cherry plants

Aha!  On June 10th I had found a three-lined potato beetle adult and some eggs on a nearby leaf. Today, I happened to notice some chewed leaves on a ground cherry plant, looked closer, and sure enough found several larvae eating leaves.  Found them on several of the plants, particularly the southern central one, and some on the north central one and the one by the compost.  Can't remember if I found any on the other two plants.

While looking for them, also found more eggs on the undersides of leaves.

Relocated all larvae/eggs found.

It's definitely this species, as they clearly were carrying their droppings on their back.  I don't think I've ever seen this type of insect before.

The plants look only minimally affected, should hopefully make a full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment