Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fall crop indoor sowing: Cabbage, kale, chard

Cabbage:  Looks like the spring cabbage is starting to head up already.  Last year my cabbages took the whole season to head up, I assume because of groundhog-related delays.  This year, new fence, no groundhogs (knock on wood), so the cabbages have been doing their thing.  So, figured I'd try starting some seeds indoors now, in the hopes of having a new round of transplants to replace the spring ones once they're finished.  Wouldn't that be neat!  Sow, I mean so, today I sowed 5 pots, 2 seeds each (will thin to 1).

Kale and chard:  I've been enjoying excellent harvests so far, but I imagine they will soon go to seed.  So, like the cabbage, sowed new seeds today, to take the place of the old kale, chard, and choy as well.  11 small pots of chard and 6 small pots of kale, with 2-3 seeds each (will thin to 1).  Ended up not sowing more bok choy, seeing how much the slugs loved them.  That makes me wonder though, with no bok choy, maybe they'll be happy to go to town on the kale/chard -- oh well, hopefully there will be enough for us all to enjoy.

Didn't put them under a plastic dome, figured it's plenty hot and humid without that.

No comments:

Post a Comment