Saturday, July 25, 2026

Garlic harvest complete = 53 bulbs in all (excluding Elephant), which had cost $29.73 incl tax, so $0.57 per harvested bulb ---- didn't cover them at all

Harvested the rest of the Music garlic before a rainy period arrives next week

In total, the Music garlic yielded 53 bulbs, almost all of which are decent size, some of which are quite nice and big.

Given they cost $29.73 last fall, that's a cost of $0.57 per harvested bulb (not including the cost of amendments).

Those $29.73 worth of seed last year consisted, after I had broken the bought bulbs into individual cloves, of 31 big cloves and 22 small/medium cloves for a total of 53 cloves planted.  Given I harvested 53 (excluding the volunteer elephant), every clove grew, so that's great.

Oh -- and, I never bothered covering these at all, so it seems the leek moth wasn't an issue this year.

I plan to keep the biggest ones to use as seed garlic this fall to help reduce the cost.  (Google says Music will grow true to type.)  I count 16 nice big Musics harvested, and they seem to have 4 cloves each on average, so that's 64 nice-sized plantable Music cloves -- woo hoo, it wouldn't cost anything!  And that would still leave 37 bulbs to use for cooking.

Now to hope the #$%^&*( foundation gets done this year, and early enough to allow them to be planted this fall...

No comments:

Post a Comment