Thursday, November 4, 2021

FIRST FROST in my yard was last night -- tenderest plants kaput

The forecast for cold nights a few days ago didn't quite materialize -- but last night's ~-4 was a definite frost in the yard, officially the first frost in my yard.

The tomato and zucchini plants, and the tuberous begonia, are all wilty/dead now.  The zinnias, however, seem to be fine still (tired / end of season, but not frosted).

I was worried about the chard and celery, as they looked droopy first thing this morning, but they bounced back during the day.  I threw a blanket over them for tonight as it will be going down to ~-5, so hopefully this will help.

The fall sown potted lettuce and kales look good too, but I covered them for tonight as well just in case.  It would suck if they go mushy before I have to chance to harvest anything from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment