Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Goldfinches much fewer these days, but still frequent visitors; very occasional song sparrows, that's it

To really prevent food from falling to the ground (re: rat), and while waiting for the large seed catcher tray to arrive, I removed all of the mesh feeders that the goldfinches really loved, and replaced them with hopper-style feeders with openings at the bottom only, which are working well with the new fine sunflower chips I picked up.

The hordes of goldfinches had already been much smaller starting on Sunday I think (prior to then it wasn't out of the ordinary to count as many as 15 goldfinches in the yard and eating on the primrose/etc. outside the yard), which I think is due to removing the main feeder because it was raining and the weather dome hasn't arrived yet, so I don't think it was due to the above changes, but, we'll see if the masses come back.  

I do still see goldfinches, as many as 4 or 5 at a time, occasionally throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment