Saturday, August 19, 2017

Massive zucchini -- and, is the end near?

Woops -- a few zucchinis escaped my gaze until today, discovered 3 ginormous ones.  (2 on the a/c plant, 1 on the other.)

Also, the a/c plant in particular has suddenly started to look like its days are soon coming to an end.  It's become mostly floppy, some leaves dried up... So, I wonder if (a) letting those zukes grow to such huge proportions have shut down production, and/or (b) squash vine borer?

The plant near the compost doesn't look all flaily, with the exception of one "branch" which had rotted or something (borer?) near the joint, so I pulled that branch and so far the other part looks good, although production has slowed as well.

There are at least 2 more zukes well on the way; hopefully more too.

Lastly a note, I haven't hand-pollinated the zukes for quite a few weeks.  Apparently the bees and wasps are doing it for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment